Saturday, January 17, 2009

Krewe of Junkanoo Chili Cook-off


Great fun and good eatin' at the Krewe of Junkanoo's Chili Cook-off at the Sandshaker this afternoon.


We got there right at 1:00 p.m. and started diggin' in.


The "You can't beat our meat" team.


The crowd started growing and the parking lot filled. Most of the chili was gone by 3:00 p.m.


One of the best today was a white chili entry, cooked with chicken and white beans. It had a surprisingly rich and spicy chili flavor. YUM!


Okay, I think I'll 'creep' on past this entry.


Put out the fire, boys! A former Waukegan fire chief entered the cook-out. No surprise that it was excellent.


Too much pepper!


You can always spot the Krewe of Junkanoo! I think they have a real winner with the new chili cook-off event.


It's exciting to see the purple, green and gold start coming out of the closet. We're ramping up to Mardi Gras and it will be a great year!


Ahhh...all that chili and a couple of sweet little cupcakes

4 comments:

Angela said...

well thanks!
someone who saw my blog on someone else's blog (wait, what?) introduced me to yours... i love it!

i grew up in pensacola, but i haven't lived there since 1994. i was back in 2004, and my had it changed. i've always missed it, and i've always wanted to go back home.

now i might get that chance! in the mean time, i can see it through your eyes. so thanks for affording me that!

Anonymous said...

DJ that first picture is very artistic. I can see it hanging in a kitchen! Nice work.

I have your blog on "My Yahoo" so I visit nearly every day and enjoy it very much.

Barrier Island Girl said...

Thanks, Judy!

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun day.