Friday, April 25, 2008

Pittosporum



This is one of my favorites shrubs in the yard and they have been blooming for a couple of weeks. Everyone in the area referred to them as pittosporum, but upon researching them further I discovered another name: Japanese mockorange.

It's easy to understand why they would be called mockorange. The blossoms smell very similar to the flowers on my satsuma orange tree.

A few cuttings of pittosporum, combined with a few of my knock-out roses, make a lovely and very fragrant floral arrangement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful

Barrier Island Girl said...

David, this shrub smells even better than it looks!

One other thing I failed to note: when the blooms first open, they are white. As they age, they start turning cream and then a pale yellow. If you look to the left and behind the main focus of the photograph, you can see a better example of this. See the tiny white blooms here and there, but yellow ones interspersed?

DJ