Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Polar Bear Plunge on Pensacola Beach

What a day for the Polar Beach Plunge on Pensacola Beach. The temperature was in the low 50's and the water temperature was probably close to 60. Winds were gusting up to 40 mph out of the north according to the weather station at Pensacola Beach Elementary School! What a fine day for a little dip.


Santa Rosa Sound was full of whitecaps all day.


One of my favorite characters today, was determined to try something new! I would have suggested the fried green tomatoes on the menu at the Paradise Grill, but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.


A family tradition begins, "Dad! I'm cold! Block the wind!"



When this adorable little fella is 80 years old, he'll still remember today! He should have stopped shivering by then.


{{{Oh man, what have we gotten ourselves into?}}}


And they're off! Approximately 40 'Polar Bears' of all shapes, sizes, and age start plunging! The object is to go all the way to the end of the pier and back.


"Pier, schmier...I've had enough! You guys can catch up with me later."


Heading for shore! Quickly!


This gentleman has to be a snowbird. He was in the water long before the plunge began. Nice shade of pink, don't you think?


"I rule!"


This guy makes it look like a normal day at the beach.


A television crew from Mobile, Alabama tries to discover what makes anyone crazy enough to participate in a Polar Bear Plunge. Only after the interview concluded did they realize they poor guy had frozen to the spot. [Not really.]


Ahhhh....warm...soft...dry...

What a fun day at the beach! My favorite part was being warm and dry. Maybe next year I'll work up the courage to try the Polar Bear Plunge myself...or maybe not.

2 comments:

Annie Patterson said...

Oh my! It looks cold but not compared to the Polar Bear dips the tourists do here in the summers, in the Arctic Ocean. They
even get certificate that they've joined 'The Polar Bear CLub'. NOw that is one club I would not want to join! :) Happy New Year, DJ! Your turtle pics are helping me so much right now as I am painting baby Loggerheads. :)

Barrier Island Girl said...

Okay, Annie, I don't even want to imagine how cold your 'dips' would be. HA! Instant popsicles!

For my blog viewers, Annie is an very talented illustrator for children's books. Here is a link to Annie's website with her beautiful illustrations and drawings:

http://www.anniepatterson.com/

Annie, please let me know when you post some of your sea turtle illustrations for us to preview. I can't wait!

DJ