Thursday, January 17, 2008

All the days of my life

There is a quote by Jonathan Swift that I think back to at times. He said, "May you live all the days of your life." Some would dismiss his words, young people may think them amusing, but I have always accepted them as a kindly reminder.



I admit that I almost coasted through today instead of really living it. I kept thinking back to the place I was a year ago, helping my mother care for my dad who died at home on January 19, remembering how tired we were, thinking of the hard days soon to come, and beyond grateful to those who sat with us through long nights. I tried hard to move past my thoughts, but wasn't very successful. I felt weighted down, like I was moving through over-cooked molasses.



Near noon, I looked out a window on the upper floor of my home and saw a high wind-whipped surf. Cold winds had turned colder, now coming from the north and shearing back the top of waves into spindrift. But despite the winds and water temps, clouds had lifted and surfers were out, oblivious of anything but the moment and the waves before them.

Even from afar, I felt their energy and remembered the words, "May you live all the days of your life." I picked up up my camera and walked to the beach. With the camera in my hand and the horizon in my viewfinder, the weight of my yesterdays fell away and I finally began to live the day.

We cannot change our past; we have limited control over our future; but in each moment we have the power - the choice - to live all the days of our life.

"May you live all the days of your life."

~~ Jonathan Swift

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When your journey seems all uphill--Just think about how great the view will be from the top!
Patty

Anonymous said...

Words of Wisdom. A good reminder for all of us to appreciate every precious moment we are here.