Monday, November 28, 2005

Ft. Pickens hike



What started out as a short walk into Ft. Pickens for a few photographs last week turned into a five hour hike. Heading west toward the fort, I suddenly had a desire to walk until all other footprints fell away. Though woefully unprepared, I did have the essentials: my cell phone, my camera, a bottle of water, and lip gloss.

About four miles inside the park I came upon the ranger station. As you can see, I was able to stand there and see nothing but sand stretching over the old road bed, nary a footprint in sight, just a few ghostly tracks.

It was a unique experience to stand there alone, no sound but the wind and the surf.




Remnants of Ft. Pickens Road.

1 comment:

Barrier Island Girl said...

From your lips to God's ear, hersheykisses. This is one of my favorite places on the island.