Friday, May 10, 2013

Pensacola Beach Patrol - Friday morning


Fishermen were lined up all along my patrol route this morning with their fishing poles securely fastened into PVC rod holders which they had planted in the sand.  The sky was turning crimson and the surf was ankle to knee high. What a beautiful way to start the day.


The sun is just about to peep over the horizon and thanks to a break in the clouds above me the beach begins to reflect the light.  If you look closely you can see there is an escarpment ahead of me with a two to three foot drop-off in places.  I stepped out of my UTV for this shot since we avoid getting our vehicles close to a 'scarp.  The weight of the vehicle could cause the sand to collapse into the surf.

Living on a barrier island, we frequently experience considerable beach erosion during the winter months.  Then, in spring, the natural process of accretion where the waves and currents redesign the shoreline, heal and widen it again.

No comments: