Sunday, July 18, 2010

The meaning of dreams

“Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you.”

~~
Marsha Norman

Most of my blog followers know I like to collect quotations and use them in my posts. Today I came across the one above which made me start to worry: what might my soul be writing about me?!

I have recently started having very bizarre dreams. In last night's dream, for instance, I was concerned when our neighbor Brian (sorry, Brian, don't know how you got mixed up in this) started putting out dishes of dog food to draw polar bears away from our homes and protect our dogs. I expressed my fear that instead of leading them away from us, perhaps he was only attracting more to our area. Of course huge polar bears then started lumbering out of the sea oats and oleander, closing in on us.

I realize these bizarre dreams may be due to a lack of sleep from the early morning turtle patrols and sporadic 10+ hour night shifts from dark to dawn as a Wildlife Observer, but dreams such as polar bears descending on the island or me galloping around trying to rustle up a herd of racehorses, etc.?

Perhaps a more fitting quote for today would be,

"I have a grip on reality, just not this one." ~~ Author Unknown.

4 comments:

Debbie (LSU Flag Lady) said...

I love to google when I have a weird dream. So, I googled yours. I read that dreaming of a polar bear means a reawakening in your life. If you are afraid of any kind of bear in your dream, it means a fear of something in your life, like a fearful or painful situation of the past or present. The key is, if you are afraid of something, you are not at peace. Then I read that to dream that you are being pursued or attacked by a bear, denotes aggression, overwhelming obstacles and competition. Does this ring any bells? LOL!

Anonymous said...

I think the polar bears are the oil. Polar like our white sand that is being threatened. The oil has stopped but we are not sure for how long. White bears coming out of the oleander and oats, symbols of the island beauty, may optimisticly may mean the white sand will return. But why me? - Brian

Shellbelle said...

Oh but our polar bears need our protection now also. Of course I wouldn't want to come upon one when out shelling with my head down look for the next gem.

Barrier Island Girl said...

So sorry, Brian! Ha!

My personal opinion has been that our 'computer' brains purge themselves during sleep cycles, clearing up space and weaving bits of info/memories into the fabric of dreams. Maybe putting out the garbage can last week factored into it. :-) But polar bears???? I could clearly see that last polar bear rounding the corner of your house.

After Debbie's analysis, perhaps something is to be said after all for interpretive dreams, 'cause what she found seemed mighty accurate. :-)

DJ