Friday, October 09, 2009

Stalactites!


I explored Ft. Pickens with out-of-town guests yesterday morning and discovered something I've missed before: stalactites!


Perhaps because of the high humidity and heavy rain we had this past weekend, but the the drip...drip...drip of water from the old fort walls surrounded us just like in some caves. It drew my eyes upward to the stalactites and ribbons of calcium carbonate forming on the old brick walls. How cool is that!

You can always learn something new.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Were you there for the ranger talk? Greg and I went when we were down a few weeks ago. I can't remember the ranger's name (maybe David?)but he was so informative and indicated he'd been interviewed for the National Seashore PBS special. We bought our annual pass and look forward to many long walks.