Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sea Turtles



For those of you who have not seen the signs for sea turtle nesting areas on Pensacola Beach, here are photos.



I wish I knew how they find and mark sea turtle nests. I assume early morning beach patrols are on alert for turtle tracks during certain times of the year. This particular site is right across from my subdivision and [if you're out there reading this, Mr. Gulf Islands National Seashore volunteer-recruiter] I'd love to be a sea turtle, hatch-monitoring, volunteer.

Wouldn't a photo of baby turtles heading for the Gulf be an awesome shot?!

Oh yes, if you happen to see some cold-hearted person intentionally disturbing the nest, kick 'em in the shins and run like crazy for back-up. Scientists estimate that only 1 in 1000 to 10,000 babies will survive to adulthood, so it might be worth the assault charge.

No comments: