Monday, November 28, 2005

Ft. Pickens hike



What started out as a short walk into Ft. Pickens for a few photographs last week turned into a five hour hike. Heading west toward the fort, I suddenly had a desire to walk until all other footprints fell away. Though woefully unprepared, I did have the essentials: my cell phone, my camera, a bottle of water, and lip gloss.

About four miles inside the park I came upon the ranger station. As you can see, I was able to stand there and see nothing but sand stretching over the old road bed, nary a footprint in sight, just a few ghostly tracks.

It was a unique experience to stand there alone, no sound but the wind and the surf.




Remnants of Ft. Pickens Road.

2 comments:

hersheykisses said...

the beauty of this road will soon be restored

Barrier Island Girl said...

From your lips to God's ear, hersheykisses. This is one of my favorite places on the island.