Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Heartbreaking

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you one of our sea turtles washed ashore dead yesterday. I appreciate the photographer, Donna Patrice, sharing her photos with me. The copies are low resolution but I wanted my blog readers to know/see what is happening.


Hopefully this is not the same turtle that nested last week near Portofino. We have only had one loggerhead nest so far this year.


Female sea turtles come ashore several times during the season to nest, generally about two weeks apart.


She was 38.5 inches long and 26 inches wide.


Most importantly, Donna had the presence of mind to take close-up photos of the carapace which was stained with oil.

As I said, I have Donna's permission to share these photos, so I am providing a link to her Facebook album where you can see these and other photos in higher resolution. Click HERE.

2 comments:

Jeevita said...

Really sad!

jerilynn said...

Makes me so sad.... :( Stay safe Loggerheads!