Friday, April 02, 2010

Dewberries!


In the past week, 'my' dewberry patch seemed to burst into bloom overnight. I'm so excited! I smell a dewberry cobbler in my future!


As I've mentioned before, dewberries are also called sand blackberries. They are very similar to regular blackberries, but trail along the ground in vines rather than grow upright on canes.

Another difference I have noted when making cobblers, is that dewberries do not seem to give up as much juice in cooking. Consequently you will generally need to add something like orange juice to the recipe.

1 comment:

Pearl Maple said...

How exciting to see the signs of spring popping up on your beach. Shame about the dune erosion, having lived on the beach all my life, it is part of the great cycle of nature.

Happy Easter to you and the family.