Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Rookery

I think the Rookery at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park is one of the most magical places I've ever been. I was very happy that our visit coincided with the period of time when Great Egrets were courting and sitting on nests.


Walking along the extended boardwalks in the Rookery you are very close to the birds.


Portions of the giant old live oaks were covered in Great Egrets that day.


It seems odd that the Rookery is located in the midst of an alligator farm, and some hatchlings are indeed lost to the giant reptiles below, but the alligators actually protect them from other predators such as raccoons, snakes and opposums.


Building a nest.


Three's a crowd at this nesting site.

Be sure to click on the photos to enlarge them so that you can see more detail of these stunning birds.

3 comments:

BaysideLife said...

DJ
These are the most amazing series of photographs I've seen in a long time. I could just gush all day over that first one--the lightness of the feathers, the curves of the neck, the composition---I told you I would gush. Great job. This place definitely goes on my southern travel "bucket list."

Barrier Island Girl said...

Claire, you would love it! From the end of February through July there are various species of migrating birds which stop at the Rookery. Just check out the schedule to decide what you'd most like to see/photograph.

I'll be e-mailing you sometime next month to see if we four local lady phloggers can come up with a date in May to get together! Would a weekend day work for you?

BaysideLife said...

With notice, any day will work for me. Weekends are okay. I'm really looking forward to meeting the other gals and seeing you again.

I feel a road trip coming on!