Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Pensacola Beach Mardi Gras Parade - I

The Krewe of Wrecks Pensacola Beach Mardi Gras parade took place on Sunday, February 22, a cold and windy, but beautiful day. I must have walked five miles that day, back and forth along the line, and still didn't get all the photos I wanted.


A lot of work and a lot of fun went into preparations for the event, and when the day finally arrived we did exactly as the sign said, "Enjoy the Parade"!


Looks like a group of Daisy Dukes to me!


Appears Ms. Bonnie (Boogie, Inc.) is calling for her driver. It's inspection time! All parade float/vehicle drivers must pass a breathalyzer test before the parade and at any time during. Safety first!


Ahh, haven't we all felt this way at some point?


Nereids on revue...and what a hoot they are. Remind me to show you a photo from after the parade when the Nereids 'performed' rather spontaneously at the Pavilion.


It's Sylvester, but where's Tweety? I loved Tweety Bird!


Beads, beads and more beads. Doncha love it!


A coupla stray cats, just wandering down the sidewalk.


Krewe of de Feet - a krewe of walkers and runners - was founded in 1989 by Glenn Windham, whom you may have seen jogging around the island.


And what a clever way for the Krewe of de Feet to decorate/accessorize their float -- adding all those discarded running shoes, spray painted in Mardi Gras colors!


So sad...I realized I'm either too old or too cold to have any reaction to this sculpted young warrior other than to wish I had a coat or blanket to protect him from that cold north wind.


I've discovered Tweedledum and Tweedledee!


Ooooh, Elvis! "A little less conversation, a little more action, please!"


Two flamingos and a Rastafarian...I think.



Our sweet Beverly found Miss Piggy!


Lining up on Via de Luna.


It's a bunch of Silver Slippers!


It's amazing how many parrotheads we had today, but birds aside, I'd really like her sunglasses

Oh dear, this poor ship's officer seems to have missed his mate and I've missed my photo op! Darn! Jim and Lila Cox are a couple of the new Ship's Officers for the Krewe of Wrecks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT PARADE COVERAGE!!! I HOPE YOU HAD AS MUCH FUN AS WE DID! YOU'RE DOING A FABULOUS JOB, DJ AND WE'RE HAPPY THAT YOU'VE FINALLY 'FOUND' PARADISE...Oh yeah, I missed seeing our Nereid Dance Photo....