Sunday, November 07, 2010

Mermaid's Purse

Yesterday morning, right after my Wildlife Observer shift ended, I headed toward Ft. Pickens with my friend and fellow Wildlife Observer, Melanie Waite. We were participating in The Great VISIT PENSACOLA Beachwalk.

I was very disappointed in my photos because most of them were slightly blurred. It shouldn't have been a surprise since I did not have a tripod with me, nor would I have taken time to set up even if I had, due to the cold temps and breezy conditions. Secondly, after twelve hours on the beach, then another hour+ on the beach getting to our starting point and waiting for sunrise, both Melanie and I were shivering like hairless chihuahuas, hence more-than-normal camera shake.


But I have to share a couple of photos of the Mermaid's purses which we saw washed up on shore.


Mermaid's Purses are very unusual and I love their name, even though they are really just egg capsules of marine creatures like shark, rays and skates. The one's we discovered yesterday are those of a ray or skate, I believe.

Unfortunately, as I write, it comes to mind that I left them in my vehicle overnight, so this post will come to an abrupt end, with no links, while I rush to remove them and hope I am not stuck with a bad fishy odor in my car for the next six months! Shell Collecting 101: Never leave uncleaned shells in your vehicle overnight!

4 comments:

BaysideLife said...

I have never seen anything like this. Thanks for posting. You're right about shell collecting 101: made that mistake once---only once!

Marlene said...

Ooh, I hope you got those out of your car in time. I remember having a skate in a can with some shells. When I opened it a few days later......Ugh.....you know what happened! :) I haven't done that again!

Novice Naturalist said...

I always thought these things were seed pods of some kind. What a revelation to learn they are animal eggs. Wow. And I never heard the term Mermaid Purses before either. Thanks for the informative post.

Jen and Eric said...

Oh, wow... I hope your car smells okay! As one of the commenters said, I too have done this before (although, alas, *more* than once!)

I am very curious about something regarding these mermaid's purses: you called them egg sacks... so does that mean the animals you mentioned actually lay eggs encased in those pods?!

Your niece,
Jennifer